Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Password changes more than once per day

From: bsec () cotse net
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:28:11 -0500 (EST)

As several people have already pointed out, requiring users to wait a
period of time prevents/discourages password re-use; however, by not
allowing users to change their passwords immediately could also have the
negative side effect of allowing weak passwords to exist on one's system.
Consider the situation if while a user was entering a new password someone
watched them type their new password (i.e. shoulder surfed), the account
would be vulnerable until the user was allowed to change their password
again.

In some organizations it is considered acceptable to allow users to change
their passwords immediately, but to mitigate the risk of password re-usage
by setting the password history to a high (i.e. 49) and undisclosed value.
 Some users may be determined enough to try reset their password back to
the original value, but will usually get discouraged after 10 or so
attempts.

Good luck,
-Brett

Bob Kelley <bob_kelley_jr () yahoo com> 2/10/2004 2:32:10 PM >>>

Can someone please explain the security implications of allowing a user to
change their password more than one time per day without involving an
account administrator? What's the risk ?

I specified the security requirement of not allowing a user to change
their password more than once per day for an outsourcing project and I am
being asked why. I could not remember my reasoning other than it's a
requirement for microsoft security policies to ensure password history is
enforced.

Thanks!

Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
- Wireless security.

Download 30-day evaluation at:
http://www.astaro.com/php/contact/securityfocus.php