Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Password changes more than once per day

From: Charlie Fraser <fraserc () mail montclair edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:06:48 -0500

Bob, IMHO even once a day is too often. Having this policy in place puts a natural check and balance to alert the security and IT staff that there may be a security problem. If a user needs to change their password more than once a week something is going on. What is the user's rational to this request? Just curious.

Charlie

Bob Kelley wrote:

Can someone please explain the security implications of allowing a user to change their password more than one time per day
without involving an account administrator? What's the risk ?

I specified the security requirement of not allowing a user to change their password more than once per day for an outsourcing project and I am being asked why. I could not remember my reasoning other than it's a requirement for microsoft security policies to ensure password history is enforced.

Thanks!

Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
- Wireless security.

Download 30-day evaluation at:
http://www.astaro.com/php/contact/securityfocus.php

--