Security Basics mailing list archives

Password changes more than once per day

From: Bob Kelley <bob_kelley_jr () yahoo com>
Date: 10 Feb 2004 21:32:10 -0000

Can someone please explain the security implications of allowing a user to change their password more than one time per
day without involving an account administrator? What's the risk ?

I specified the security requirement of not allowing a user to change their password more than once per day for an
outsourcing project and I am being asked why. I could not remember my reasoning other than it's a requirement for
microsoft security policies to ensure password history is enforced.

Thanks!

Free trial: Astaro Security Linux -- firewall with Spam/Virus Protection

Protect your network with the comprehensive security solution that
integrates six applications for ease of use and lower TCO.

Firewall - Virus protection - Spam protection - URL blocking - VPN
- Wireless security.

Download 30-day evaluation at:
http://www.astaro.com/php/contact/securityfocus.php