Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Blocking IP's / e-com fraud

From: Stian Øvrevåge <sovrevage () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:37:02 +0100

Hello,

I would advise you to look up the ip-addresses in question in the
respective Whois databases, such as ARIN, RIPE, APNIC, etc.
The databases usually tells you who "owns" the entire subnet, and
there is also likely contact information on who to contact in case of
abuse, which fraud attempts most certainly are!

For example, I ran a whois on microsoft.com at ARIN and the database showed:
OrgAbuseHandle: HOTMA-ARIN
OrgAbuseName:   Hotmail Abuse
OrgAbusePhone:  +1-425-882-8080
OrgAbuseEmail:  abuse () hotmail com

It also told me what range of ip-s they are assigned:
NetRange:   207.46.0.0 - 207.46.255.255

I cannot give a detailed guide of IIS but the subnet masks of 10.0.*.*
is 255.255.0.0, it is a certain chance you can block several subnets
in one go, but this does require some binary math. So unless it is 30+
different nets I would think "classfull" blocking is easiest.

Note: If IIS supports CIDR notation in network/subnet specification
you might want to use a /16 instead of 255.255.0.0.

Good Luck, Stian