Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: what is required for an engineer to become an SECURITY engineer

From: "S. Schappert" <scottsch () ix netcom com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 22:32:51 -0800

All,

Yes, practical knowledge.  However the burden of an engineer is theory; root
cause analytical discipline.  Foe example: a working knowledge of TCP/IP,
all layers, IPv4 / IPv6.  There seems to be an advent of individuals who
purport to be an "engineer", yet really lack the resourcefulness and dynamic
abilities to learn, to learn fast and accurately.  The "two year" colleges
are the scourge of the engineering world, thanks to the leading
organizations I would like to mention, but as a professional, cannot.

There also seems a feeling that a working knowledge of the myriad of network
security tools that are free and easy, are the key to being able to judge,
in real-time, what is a threat, what looks like a threat, and what,
depending on dissector settings, is quasi-normal.  The tools are only as
good as the interpreted output, put into action, and are of value only to an
inherent, cognizant engineer.

It seems that although certificates, and their resultant surname-suffixes,
are sometimes just that.  Even the posts from these great security-based
lists, are questionable when the author has several attributes as to qualify
themselves as "engineers"

Theory, adaptation, resourcefulness, and the lifetime commitment to learn as
technology demands, and an ability to take critique, however harsh, and move
forward.  These are the attributes of one who wishes to carry the obligatory
weight of the simple, yet critical title.

Network security demands that while research is going on in real-time, one
has to practice with hardware, and ask questions, and be humble.  There is
truth that although many  people claim to be a lot of things, those who are
what they say, I know in my heart, have one common thread.  Theory.  And
consummate dedication to stay ahead of "conventional wisdom", and excel.

-Scott