Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: what is required for an engineer to become an SECURITY engineer

From: Ravi Kumar <ravivsn () rocsys com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:34:14 +0530

Theog,
I agree with you completely. Unless one have practical knowledge, there is no need for him in market.

As I mentioned in my mail, the concept is to build people with practical knowledge. Give us your valuable inputs to frame the syllabus in that direction.

Thanks,
-Ravi

Liran Cohen wrote:
Well, I don't think there is really a way to measure one's expertise regarding Information security, Would you trust you're money with some banker who just finished his economics degree and opened a bank? , I guess, as in many fields, so in the Information security business, experience,recommendation and reputation will be the criteria, one cannot simply take a test and become a security engineer (although many people claim to be a lot of things... :) ).

Liran Cohen
TheOg

Ravi Kumar wrote:

[I am reposting the question with modifications]

Hi,
I was asked to prepare syllabus for security management,incident handling,forensics analysis, intrusion detection etc., Th intention is train an engineer to become a SECURITY engineer.

we know there are several certifications which are designed for this purpose. I want from you with your security experience tell us what should an BASIC course for security really requires.

If industry wants to recruit an engineer for its security needs what type of experience they look for?

Note: Please dont relate my question with any certifications and be generic.

Thanks for any help,
-Ravi