Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: help interpreting the nmap output

From: miguel.dilaj () pharma novartis com
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:37:57 +0100

Hi Ivan,

Good! Yes, you guess correctly, it seems that Apache was setup to show
only its name.
For other ports, like services that don't have a text banner, you've 2
very nice options:

a) use the -sV option in nmap. Read The Fine Manual, and also the article
at http://www.insecure.org/nmap/versionscan.html
Take into account that this is not stealth (like -sS), it establishes the
full TCP connection.
Be sure to use latest nmap, this option is quite new (>=3.45).
There's also a good article by Brian Hatch at InfoSec News:
http://lists.virus.org/isn-0310/msg00030.html

b) use amap (http://www.thc.org/releases.php)
Amap is a next-generation scanning tool, which identifies applications and
services even if they are not listening on the default port by creating a
bogus-communication and analyzing the responses. Changes: more
identifications, SSL bugix. Voted into the top-50 security tool list!

There're other tools out there to do the identification, Nessus for
example can do some detection, but the 2 tools above are the preferred
ones by most people (in my case: plain nmap, but I recognize the merits of
amap as well).

Cheers,

Miguel Dilaj (Nekromancer)
Vice-President of IT Security Research, OISSG

"Ivan Fratric" <hacky_2001 () hotmail com>
16/12/2004 19:57