Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: help interpreting the nmap output

From: miguel.dilaj () pharma novartis com
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:39:40 +0100

Hi Ivan,

What tool are you using to try to connect? If you were using telnet, try
netcat to establish a raw connection instead.
As for the Apache question:

$ nc -vv 192.xxx.yyy.zzz 80
www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.net [192.xxx.yyy.zzz] 80 (http) open
HEAD / HTTP/1.1
Host: www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.net
[PRESS ENTER TWICE]

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:35:21 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix)
[PRESS CTRL-C TO STOP]

So basically you connect to port 80 of the host, after successful
connection type "HEAD / HTTP/1.1", press ENTER, type "Host: {name of the
website}", press ENTER twice. If everything is OK you'll get a nice banner
from the server.
You can try the above. Remember that's possible to tweak Apache in order
NOT to show the version.
Cheers,

Miguel Dilaj (Nekromancer)
Vice-President of IT Security Research, OISSG

"Ivan Fratric" <hacky_2001 () hotmail com>
14/12/2004 18:43