Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VPN Client and Local Service

From: lonely wolf <wolfy () nobugconsulting ro>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 23:12:48 +0200

John Cooper wrote:
Dear all,
We have a LAN and use VPN to connect to remote
Exchange server in back office (we are the client
side).  As soon as the connection setup, the local
computer will get one IP address assigned by the
remote server. Afterwards all the local computers
could not print because the IP address of the local
printer is in different range.
Both our IT admins in two offices said this problem is
not possible to solve, which means if we need to send
and receive email, we need to build up the VPN
connection and if we need to print we have to
disconnect. As for our normal users the situation is
really ridiculous. Is it really so difficult to solve
the problem?
you need to convince the vpn client software to ADD a secondary interface, with the IP address different from that of the main (local) interface. So you will end with two interface each one with specific routes: a local one, with acces to your LAN and the VPN, with acces to the remote server. or, you can add a second interface with local IP after you have the address assigned by the remote server. Even Windows can handle multiple IP addresses on the same physical interface.