Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VPN Client and Local Service

From: "Phillip Hitchcock" <phitchcock () xtra co nz>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:33:42 +1300

making a couple of assumptions here...

1. that it is each individual machine establishing a VPN connection. since you said the computer gets a new ipaddress (this should be a second ip assress). 2. you are using the default microsoft vpn client (2000 or XP) which adds a ppp device. 3. you are using pptp (although the same shoudl be true for ipsec, i have just never tried it).

to be able to accress both networks all you should have to do is disable making the vpn connection the default gateway under the advanced tcp-ip settings for the vpn connection.

the only other possable problem you might find you have then is resolving DNS entrys for both networks... but if you are only accessing a very small number of resources on the remote network i would take the easy way out and just put in a few static entrys in the local DNS server for the remote network and call it a day.

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Cooper" <jc20041212 () yahoo com>