Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: COPS scanner

From: GuidoZ <uberguidoz () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:50:46 -0500

This may be what you're after:
 - http://www.fish.com/cops/

From the "COPS Overview" page...

"This is a quick intro to COPS (Computer Oracle and Password System.)
COPS is a collection of security tools that are designed specifically
to aid the typical UNIX systems administrator, programmer, operator,
or consultant in the oft neglected area of computer security."

Only security related scanner named COPS I've heard of. Some Googling
of my own turned up this:

http://security.ucdavis.edu/unixlinux_deskserv_detect.cfm

" Trojan Detection: How do I detect trojans and rootkits? A good
introduction is "Root Kits" and hiding files/directories/processes
after a break-in, an article from the University of Washington. You
can use tools that check or monitor file integrity to monitor for
trojans or root kits. Programs that scan for trojans include trojan.pl
and cops. Trojan.pl can be run by an administrator on his or her
account and does not require root privileges; it also checks symbolic
links. Chrootkit is a shell script that locally checks for signs of a
rootkit."

The word "cops" in the sentence "Programs that scan for trojans
include trojan.pl and cops." links to a forbidden access page here:
(Need student ID or something)
 - http://security.ucdavis.edu/secure/sysadminresource/sec_tools_detail1.cfm#cops

Can't tell if it's the same one I linked for ya earlier, but it looks
like it's what you're after. HTH. =)

--
Peace. ~G

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 13:20:14 -0800 (PST), Elihu Smails