Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: COPS scanner

From: Tom Rhodes <trhodes () FreeBSD org>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:46:52 -0500

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 13:20:14 -0800 (PST)
Elihu Smails <elihusmails2000 () yahoo com> wrote:

Has anyone ever heard of a tool called COPS.  I guess
it is a rootkit detection app.  I have googled for it
and have not come up with anything.

Thanks.....

If you were a FreeBSD user I'd tell you to look in
/usr/ports/security/cops

More information:

%cat /usr/ports/security/cops/pkg-descr
Cops is a set of programs to check how secure your system is.  It
checks file and directory privileges, SUID programs, etc.  It has
support for checking passwords, but this port doesn't include it
as it is DES based.  This port installs cops in a single directory
area.  The directory has no non-user privileges and cops is meant
to be run locally to that directory.  The perl version of cops is
also included in a subdirectory.

WWW: http://www.fish.com/cops/

--
Tom Rhodes