Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Administrator Rights?

From: Caeser Augustus <caeser.augustus () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 17:33:03 +0530

Hi Gerald,

Is that CSDVersion key that you were talking about?

Thanks

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:26:52 -0800, geraldf () westernsaw com
<geraldf () westernsaw com> wrote:
Morning,all:

I don't believe this is entirely correct.  The Admin credentials do need to
be present and verified, but the "run as" secondary logon is sufficient.
Someone with Admin credentials does not have to be the primary logon for the
updates to fire and install.

I am not dead sure what you are implying with the "Windows update will not
install ANY update if the Admin is not logged on." statement.  I have been
using the "runas" method in our company for over three years, and other than
an occasional hickup where Admin or otherwise the update service just stops
functioning, every pc just updates like a clock once a day no matter who is
logged on to the pc.  The odd update failure seems to involve a reg entry
that gives a corrupt version that I manually change, and off it goes again.

Servers, of course, are a different story.  To set those up with "auto
update" without any sandboxing should only be done if your resume is updated
and your next prospective employer is in sight.

Good luck, and kudos to MSFT on the Update service.  I don't see anyone else
doing anything even remotely close to this level of customer service.

The driver updates included in this service are a real blessing.  Any
printer vendor, for example, that comes onsite is immediately quizzed on
whether they participate in the MSFT update service.  If not, adios.  I
consider a vendor who doesn't participate actively in this driver update
service to be jacking up the TCO (total cost of ownership) to my company to
save themselves some cash.  Canon is the worst at this...zero participation,
zero email notification of new drivers.  They just don't seem to get it.

Gerald
Investment Advice

If you bought $1000 worth of Nortel stock one year ago, it would now
be worth $49.

If you bought $1000 worth of Budweiser (the beer, not the stock) one
year ago, drank all the beer, and traded in the cans for the nickel
deposit,you would have $79.

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily....
And save your cans!