Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: User folders - Linux

From: xyberpix <xyberpix () xyberpix com>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 15:34:25 +0000

If you're really serious about doing this I would suggest that you look
into the app "chroot" as this would make things a lot more secure.

xyberpix

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 21:06 -0800, Rafal Zajac wrote:
Hi

I have question about users' directories placement. I'm trying to set up
Linux based FTP and WWW server (Slackware 10 / kernel 2.4.26). I will be
using proftpd and apache as my servers.

I will have there kinds of users:

- shell users - users with shell, ftp, www (home pages http/php/mySQL)
access

- Not trusted users - without shell access but with ftp and www access

- anonymous users - access to anonymous ftp (upload and download - uploaded
data will be accessible to download only after approval )

I have basically no problem with proftpd and apache configuration but my
question is:

How should I arrange user directories? How is it done on some isps' servers?

Right now I come up with configuration like this:

/home

            /home/ftp

                        /home/ftp/anonymous

                                    /home/ftp/anonumous/upload

                        /home/ftp/untrusted_user1

                        /home/ftp/untrusted_user1

/home/exchange

/home/trusted_user1

/home/trusted_user2

None of above users can reed other users directories but they can exchange
data using /home/exchange (for trusted users only)
/home/ftp/anonumous/upload (for untrusted users after root approval)

In each user folder is www_page folder holding their (http/php) files.

I don't have experience with setting up things like that so I'm asking you
for help.

Thank you for any suggestions

rzajac[at]gmail[dot]com

Startuj z INTERIA.PL!!! >>> http://link.interia.pl/f1837

--
For Security and Open Source news and tips visit:

http://xyberpix.demon.co.uk