Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Administrator Rights?

From: "Times Enemy" <times () krr org>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 16:11:18 -0700 (MST)

Greetings.

Verify the source.
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Log on as the local admin and try the update.

Log in as a domain admin group member, and try the update.

Create a new account, add it to the Admin group, try the update with it.

Do the updates manually.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/default.mspx

Backup whatever.  Delete their (local) profile, bounce the box, have them
log back in, and try the install.

Verify backup(s).  Reimage the box.

~ ciao
.te

I'd like to think I'm somewhat computer savvy, but this one escapes
me...running XP, trying to run Windows Update. All but one or two updates
will fail. I've done some research that suggested a necessary service may
not have started, but this is not the case. When looking at the user
account, they are designated as Administrator. However, Windows Update
says it won't install the updates unless it's accomplished by an
administrator. Any suggestions?