Security Basics mailing list archives

User folders - Linux

From: "Asmo" <asmodeus () interia pl>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 10:28:42 -0800

Hi

I have question about users' directories placement. I'm trying to set up
Linux based FTP and WWW server (Slackware 10 / kernel 2.4.26). I will be
using proftpd and apache as my servers.

I will have there kinds of users:

- shell users - users with shell, ftp, www (home pages http/php/mySQL)
access

- Not trusted users - without shell access but with ftp and www access

- anonymous users - access to anonymous ftp (upload and download - uploaded
data will be accessible to download only after approval )

I have basically no problem with proftpd and apache configuration but my
question is:

How should I arrange user directories? How is it done on some isps' servers?

Right now I come up with configuration like this:

/home

            /home/ftp

                        /home/ftp/pub

                                    /home/ftp/pub/upload

                        /home/ftp/untrusted_user1

                        /home/ftp/untrusted_user1

/home/exchange

/home/trusted_user1

/home/trusted_user2

None of above users can reed other users directories but they can exchange
data using /home/exchange (for trusted users only)
/home/ftp/pub/upload (for untrusted users after root approval)

In each user folder is www_page folder holding their (http/php) files.

I don't have experience with setting up things like that so I'm asking you
for help.

Thank you for any suggestions

rzajac[at]gmail[dot]com

Nudzisz sie? Zagraj sobie! >>> http://link.interia.pl/f183d