Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Internet filtering at the packet level?

From: Will - Security Engine <security () the-engine org>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:54:17 -0500

Just run a search for hacking, security, hacks, wireless, ethernet, whatever. Sure, you'll stumble upon stuff like "Hack MSN" scams, and illegal scans of books such as Hacking Exposed (Which, in my opinion, just doesn't cut the mustard).

I've found lots of short things such as presentations, articles, whatever. Most things you find won't be legit, but quite often you can find a few useful things (for instance, I found an article on fingerprint biometrics that served as a basis for my own article - It's available on the web too, but it's easier to find stuff like that over P2P).

What I'd love to do is launch a giant P2P network for security professionals, allowing everybody to share articles and whatnot. However, most people insist that their articles only be available from their websites. Seems to me people like that care more about making a name for themselves than actually educating people... I could be wrong though.

jeem machine wrote:
--- Will - Security Engine <security () the-engine org>
wrote:

Thanks for all the information.  It was just an idea
I had in my head - I'm still pretty fresh in the security dept of things. I don't have much sway in the CS dept at college since, like I
said, I'm just a student.

I was wondering about the performance issue of
TCPDump logging all that traffic, but I figured I'd ask.

Blocking all ports other than FTP and HTTP?  Heck
no, if the CS dept ever did that I'd die. I use SSH religiously (well, almost :) ), and we have a number of gamers on campus. As well, a few of us use P2p for legit purposes (I share my own music over Limewire - As in music I have written and recorded. I also share free security books). It's just not viable.

Which books? I use limewire also and would be
interested. Jim

Computer Forensics Training at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes
are guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one
interaction with one of our expert instructors. Gain the in-demand skills of
a certified computer examiner, learn to recover trace data left behind by
fraud, theft, and cybercrime perpetrators. Discover the source of computer
crime and abuse so that it never happens again.

http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/computer_forensics_training.html