Security Basics mailing list archives

Internet filtering at the packet level?

From: Will - Security Engine <security () the-engine org>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 14:51:25 -0500

Ok, I was wondering if it was feasable to filter internet access at the packet level. Here is the scenario.

Small college campus - lets say 500 live on campus. About half that has internet access. Then you also have the computer lab, with 16 computers. Each teacher has a computer in their office as well, and the CIS dept has about 30 or so computers in use.

The filtering would be done on a Linux server using TCPDump. I know how to implement flags for content checking (If the phrase "hot monkey sex" comes up in a packet, the user is flagged and traffic for that user would be logged for a set period of time for reviewing later). What I don't know is how to actually stop the traffic - but we won't worry about that for now.

Is there any problems with this? Is it feasable? How about just the flagging portion of it, rather than the actual content blocking?

I'm a student at a private baptist college that gets it's internet access through MOREnet. They require that we filter the content in order to use their services. Currently we only use a URL keyword and blacklist filtering system (from my own tests), but it's obvious that anybody who is serious about getting around the filter will have no problem (web proxies are stupid easy to set up yourself, and P2P isn't filtered). I'm worried that at some point it will come up that we aren't doing a good enough job filtering, so we'd need a new solution. I think the packet-based system would be more accurate. I would be more inclined to not actually block the content that gets flagged. I would rather know that the user is accessing content ruled against by the ToS and confront them on the issue.

Lets not turn this into a censorship debate please ;)

Computer Forensics Training at the InfoSec Institute. All of our class sizes
are guaranteed to be 12 students or less to facilitate one-on-one
interaction with one of our expert instructors. Gain the in-demand skills of
a certified computer examiner, learn to recover trace data left behind by
fraud, theft, and cybercrime perpetrators. Discover the source of computer
crime and abuse so that it never happens again.

http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/InfoSecInstitute_security-basics_040817