Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure host newbie

From: Xilo Musimene <xilopublic1 () ca inter net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 18:22:06 -0500

Brian Whitehead wrote:
There is a lot of stuff you'll need to update to be even a little secure. Support for everything up through 8.0 was discontinued back in December. 9.0 will be discontinued next month. Fedora is their new option for
people that don't want to pay.  The ES version is not too expensive at
$349 for commercial use.  If you're stuck with 7.3 because you can't
download other iso files, you can order a lot of them for under $10.  If
you are still stuck with 7.3 I would recommend learning about building
rpm's so that you can download patches for all of the programs that come
with 7.3.  There have been several security patches since December.

I'll try to update everything that is used on the system.

Thanks,
  Simon

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html