Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Secure host newbie

From: Simon Lemieux <lemieuxs () ca inter net>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 18:48:15 -0400

            I am also a newbie.I cant judge your
knowledge.But I would suggest you to read this book
"Building Secure Servers with LINUX "by Michael D.
Bauer published by oreilly.This book covers a good
deal about how to secure services etc.

I have read a good deal of text files on security-oriented websites that discusses how to secure linux. However, I found that it all comes to the same important topics and I am now unable to find any more "general" information about how to secure linux. I will now look for detailed information regarding iptables, apache, php, mysql, ssh, etc...

Though I realize all the documents I've read (the good ones) were from 2002 at most. And I believe there has been some breakthrough since then, so I was wondering if there was any place in particular to read up-to-date information on linux security?

Thanks,
  Simon

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html