Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Question about wireless lan card drivers....

From: "Wolf, Tomas" <tomas () skip cz>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 22:43:51 -0500

Hello,

Prism is a line of chips that are done by the company named "Intersil". But as time goes, now the "owner" of Prism technology is "Conexant Systems, Inc.". Such technology was used in a major way by makers of many wlan nics in the past. Now one can find chipsets from Atmel, Atheros, Orinoco and others. The search for the chipset could be tricky, since sometimes the chipset varies from version to version of the same wlan card and the maker doesn't enclose the information about the chipset used. So I have to say that I do not have any idea about your particular wlan nic (wpc54g). I personally use Linux-wlan-ng drivers (driver for Prism 2, 2.5, 3 chipset cards) with 802.11b card and RL8092 pci-to-pcmcia adapter. And I know one site and company that will provide you with Linux-friendly wlan hardware, it is: http://www.netgate.com/ - they sell Linux compatible 802.11b stuff (tried) and offer 802.11g that can be run with the mad-wifi driver that targets Atheros chipsets (http://sourceforge.net/projects/madwifi/). I didn't try .11g stuff yet.

So my advice would be: try to contact the vendor if they give out the chipset information and then go and find the driver needed. Or if you want to try the Host-AP drivers, Prism 2, 2.5 will be necessary - so if you don't have it (or it doesn't work after several sleepless nights), buy a card that has Prism chipset and enjoy. My Linux flavor is Debian, under which the wlan-ng driver works very fine. I've tried to fly through Mandrake, but after several failures I have given up on that flavor in combination with wlan-ng driver.

Well, hopefully this is of some use to you. Good luck and have a good day...

Tomas

Kyle Stapp wrote:

Hello all,
This is my first time posting. so here it goes...  I have been reading up on
mac address spoofing etc for a little, and the ways to detect it.  I have
read about the all famous prism Host-AP pack and Fake-AP.  I am looking for
similar information for other cards.  I don't quite understand if the prism
is a component of the wireless card or is the brand of the card itself.  I
tried looking up specs for my wpc54g linksys wireless notebook adapter but
could not find any information about the hardware components or any kind of
documentation of the instruction set/api for it(if one exists.  Obviously
there is some way to access a card, given that you know what commands to use
etc, and alter its function just as the prism pack does.  I am wondering if
it is capable with other cards, specifically mine, and how I would obtain a
copy of some detailed specs for the card(some kind of api/intrusction set
etc).  I would also like to know if the prism pack would probably work with
the linksys(I doubt it, but I am very beginnerish at this).  Any and all
information related to this topic(programming wireless lan cards) would be
greatly appreciated and documents on the insides of a wpc54g.  Thanx for
anyone who responds,
RabidCicada

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html