Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: College/University security programs

From: Byron Sonne <blsonne () rogers com>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 00:25:49 -0400

I have a neighborhood high school junior who's really interested in getting
into security and especially cryptography.

Security education can come from CS education (at least formally I suppose), but I think a few years of hardcore bug-ridden-system administration and/or programming from the trenches will probably do ya better. Or differently put: the people who extract good security understanding and practices from a CS curiculuum would likely do a good job and establish good practices without that education, based on just their instinct, reasoning and accumulated experience.

If the lean is really, truly toward crypto, I'd bail on CS altogether and head for where the deep magic lives: Mathematics. You'll wind up using a computer anyways, I would imagine. And probably half insane to boot! ;)

--

For Good, return Good. For Evil, return Justice.

Ethical Hacking at the InfoSec Institute. Mention this ad and get $545 off any course! All of our class sizes are guaranteed to be 10 students or less to facilitate one-on-one interaction with one of our expert instructors. Attend a course taught by an expert instructor with years of in-the-field pen testing experience in our state of the art hacking lab. Master the skills of an Ethical Hacker to better assess the security of your organization. Visit us at: http://www.infosecinstitute.com/courses/ethical_hacking_training.html