Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: protect MS Windows 95/98/Me

From: z_basics_sec <z_basics_sec () yahoo co uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 02:27:04 +0800

Hi Robert,
more info re your scenario. Are ur machines standalone or exist within a domain? If existing within a domain environment you can assign a group policy to the user group that prevents them installation rights (u can use security templates for this). Applies more to 98/ME and 2000 machines - not sure abt 95. As to preventing viruses anti-virus software and firewalls shd meet ur needs. I've personally found Norton Antivirus and Firewall to be adequate for normal needs. For the antivirus s/w its better to have one that provides for timed updates to meet changing virus challenges.

Good luck

Robert Reidenbach wrote:

Hi everyone!
I'm looking for a software that you can install on
MS Windows 95/98/Me Machines that won't
allow an ordinary user to install any programs or
allow any virus to infect any files.
Would anybody know what they call these programs
and where to get them? Any kind of help will be
appreciated.
-Robert-