Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Niche Security Market

From: "Brian Pomeroy" <lunar () voicenet com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:39:04 -0400

Nestor:

Since HIPAA is a federal law with serious consequences for non-compliance,
there certainly is a market for experts and consultants.  However, given
that the first part of the law went into effect last April, most mid- to
large-sized healthcare institutions lined up HIPAA consultants long ago.
Most of the major IT consulting firms have HIPAA security expertise, which
includes system analysis, penetration testing, training, etc.  There may
still be opportunities to work with small providers such as individual
physician practices, and maybe even some startups.

If you're looking for a general resource on HIPAA, a good starting point is
HIPAASource, at http://www.himss.org/hipaasource/hipaasource.asp, and
HIPAAdvisory, at http://www.hipaadvisory.com/.  Please note that as a HIPAA
and healthcare security consultant, you'll be competing with many
well-established firms with years of experience in the field.

Good luck...

Brian Pomeroy
e-Transformation / e-Medicine Center
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
http://www.chop.edu/
pomeroy () email chop edu
Personal site: http://www.voicenet.com/~lunar/

=====================================

Hello all,

I'm considering opening a security consulting firm specializing in helping
secure medical companies and complying with government security regulations
(i.e. HIPAA). My questions are a) is there considerately enough of a market
to mandate such a specialization and b) does anyone have any experience
servicing such a niche market and if so are there any best practices,
information resources, etc. that can help me create a plan that is
comprehensive enough for medical practitioners to understand the benefits of

securing their systems. Ideally I plan to target small to medium sized
institutions that don't staff full time IT personnel. Many thanks to your