Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Outsourcing spam filtering and secuirty

From: Chris Ditri <chrisd () better-investing org>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:25:10 -0400

Hi.

I would say that if you control your own email server, I would just implement
something locally.  If you don't own manage your own email server, then I
don't think you will be significantly secure by letting that same company
filter your spam.  If you open it up to yet a 3rd company, then obviously
your risks increase.

If you are using sendmail, or qmail, I would take a look at bogofilter.  It is
available at sourceforge, and it is open.  I have done wonderful things with
this package at my place of employment.  After about a week of training, it
was better than 99% effective, after two months, it was better than 99.999%
effective.  It is simple to use, just plugs right into a procmailrc -- and
fast.  We have a rather wimpy email machine, pentium III with ide drives and
it doesn't even break a sweat on processing.

I have also heard good things about spamassassin, but found no need to pursue
it since bogofilter is working so nicely.

Maybe a little more than you wanted, but my too sense :0).

Good luck.

Chris