Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: ethereal capture

From: Matt Simmons <matts () wirefire com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 08:34:39 -0400

Hi.
When you're sniffing a switched segment, then yes, ideally you will only see
your traffic, plus broadcast traffic. However, if you configure the Cisco
switch to monitor other ports into your specific port, then you will see all
traffic, providing that your network card is in Promiscuous mode. The key is
to tell the switch that you want to recieve all the traffic, otherwise it
will only give you frames destined for your MAC address. Hope I was able to
help.

--Matt

--
Matt Simmons