Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ethereal capture

From: "Fields, James" <James.Fields () bcbsfl com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:18:22 -0400

To make sure I understand, you're seeing traffic where:
1) neither the source nor destination addresses belong to the port you
have spanned at the switch
2) neither the source nor destination is the IP address of the
workstation where you are running Ethereal
3) the destination is not an IP broadcast or an Ethernet MAC broadcast?

If all those are correct, it is possible that there is a problem with
the switch, either a configuration problem or a bug in the code (since
these are categorized as "fast Ethernet" ports I am assuming this is a
switch running a router type IOS rather than CatOS).  Does the switch
support having multiple ports spanned to your monitor port?  Possible
that an earlier admin/user set up a port to be monitored and that you
are getting both ports' traffic?