Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Windows Server 2003

From: Jimi Thompson <jimit () myrealbox com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 12:40:42 -0500

The trick for Windows 2003 is that is there are already 5 updates. 4 have to do with being able to run the code of the attackers choice and last one has to do with inadvertently releasing sensitive information. I don't know if they are classified as "critical" by Microsoft, but I would certainly considering being able to execute arbitrary code as such. I know that many of the "remote control" exploit patches are NOT classified as "critical" for Windows XP and 2000. I don't know about anyone else, but having someone seize control of my gear for their own nefarious purposes is pretty darn critical to me. My point with this is that I would read the descriptions of the hot fixes carefully and determine if they are critical to YOU or not. I don't think that you should depend on Microsoft's definition of "critical".

Automatic Update exists because people are ignorant. I work at a University in the business school. We deal with PMBA's (professional) and EMBA's (executives who have to be sponsored by their employer), many of whom are studying to get an MIS degree. I generally speak to the incoming classes in batches of about 200 students. Out of the 200 at each orientation, there are maybe 10 who know what Windows Update is. Out of that 10, maybe 2 of them have actually run it within the last month. The other 190 of them have never run Windows Update and have no idea that such a thing exists.

If, you as a skilled system administrator, want to turn Auto Update off, you can do so. You have both the knowledge to do so as well as the experience to know what you are getting in to. For the other 99% of the population of Planet Earth, they need it because they don't have a clue about updates. They aren't IT people. I don't know much about what the rest of them do for a living, so I'm not slighting anyone merely pointing out an obvious and often overlooked fact. I think that Microsoft is trying to make a difficult and complicated task as simple and transparent as possible for the average shmoe.

2 cents,

Jimi