Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Windows Server 2003

From: "Andrew Ruef" <jabberwocky () mediasoft net>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:48:00 -0400

Yes, actually. Many ideas. Starting with patching.

I have a windows 2003 vmware machine as a test domain controller and
another up as a test domain name server right now and neither of them
were successfully infected by msblast or kaht2. Granted I don't have any
code for the new rpc vuln but I patched for that an hour ago so I should
be fine too.

I think what he means is, in windows 2000 server and advanced server, it
would install with IIS running by default, with a default FTP, HTTP and
SMTP server running. Although maybe those were install options too. It
wouldn't surprise me if I was wrong.

But in Windows 2003 you install no services when you install the OS. You
must add them when you are in the operating system. Which is I believe
what he meant.

Then again I am also very stupid.

Andrew Ruef