Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re(2): Possible new virus?

From: Wirefire Systems Administrator <sysadmin () wirefire com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 08:42:11 -0400

Occam,
        I have also admitted that it is possible that the errors were caused by a
hardware fault, however, as I stated in all my emails, I have been unable to
actually troubleshoot -in person- the machines. The technician that I was on
the phone with described the symptoms, described that he had replaced the fan
in the machine he had on hand, inspected the fan, and found it to be
operating properly. The machine was still displaying the error and emitting
the tone from the PC speaker after this, which led me to suspect something
other than a hardware error. I had the technician read me the error which
appeared on the screen word for word. I then went to the most obvious source
I could think of: google. I typed in the phrase exactly as it appeared on the
screen to the technician, and google returned 0 (zero) search results. If
google doesn't have a single entry with a certain phrase, then that is
suspicious. Even if it were a hardware error, someone, somewhere, would have
had a fan die,  and would have typed in the error to some list requesting
information on it. Since it didn't exist in the Google database, and I was
becoming suspicious, I posted a question to this list. This is a security
basics mailing list, and as far as I can tell, it is meant to facilitate the
asking of questions. I'm not anywhere near a security expert, and I'm
apparently not of the calibre troubleshooter that you are, but I merely ask
for a bit of leeway in this subject, as I was unable to ascertain the
problem. If this is a hardware problem, then I am sorry to have wasted your
bandwidth on this issue, but if it's not, even if it's not malicious code,
and it is a bug of some kind, then it's at least a little bit interesting,
imho.

--Matt