Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re(2): Possible new virus?

From: "Chris Berry" <compjma () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:13:02 -0700

From: "Lee Rich" <lee.rich () wlga gov uk>
Chris, in a later posting, Matt has stated that 'another' machine has been reported to have the same symptoms; these machines may be just a small handful of machines who have the same problem but have not been reported yet due to the area covered by 'Internet' Technical support.

All I can infer from this is that it's not machine specific.

Also, the idea that the message and beeping may be a red herring should not be cast aside. For all these systems to suffer the same fault dispite manufacurer or warranty state. Seems a little iffy to me

I agree.

andI wouldn't be surprised if there is actually nothing wrong with the cooling system. Saying it's a hardware problem would assume that each firmware reports an identical message for the problem. Not
to mention that some firmware may not even be able to report such an issue.

We don't really have enough information to properly answer the question because the original poster hasn't really been answering anyone's questions. I missed the fact that there were multiple machines in my initial reply, but I still think his problem is probably hardware related based on what we've heard so far. I'm guessing some sort of power issue, or dust. I could be wrong, but given the difficulty of spreading boot sector viruses, I find it hard to imagine how he could have infected all of these different machines, and even if he had, a three second look to see if the fan was actually running would have told him what was going on. Still, at this point I think we're guessing so unless he comes back with more info, I think this thread is about dead.

Chris Berry
compjma () hotmail com
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"Conciousness: that annoying time between naps."

Send and receive larger attachments with Hotmail Extra Storage. http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es

Captus Networks Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster? - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic FIND OUT NOW - FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm