Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: firewall on the same segment

From: LordInfidel <LordInfidel () Directionweb com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:55:09 -0400

The problem here is that your users are not going thru the firewall to get
to the box.  The server is on the same segment as your other hosts.

The way you want to accomplish this is to put a 3rd nic in your firewall.
Assign it to a different subnet like 192.168.101.0/24.
Thus creating a "DMZ", or a 3rd network.

It's interface would be let's say 192.168.101.1 (no gw)
Put the server on that network.  It's IP would be
192.168.101.3/24 gw 192.168.101.1

Now this forces your users to traverse the firewall to get to the server at
192.168.101.3.  Now in fwbuidler add another interface under your firewall.

Now create 2 groups of hosts.
1 group that is allowed access, and the other group that is to be denied.

In your rulest, create 2 rule's
1. that first allows access to the server from the allowed group.
2. that drops connections from the denied group to the server.

It's that easy.  You do not even need another hub/switch.  You can use a
crossover cable from the firewall to the server.

LordInfidel