Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: firewall on the same segment

From: Preston Newton <preston.newton () equipnetworks com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 12:55:28 -0500

From what I have read, they are wanting you to block access to a server,
192.168.100.3, from all systems, including any local 192.168.100.xxx
systems, except for a selected few, which I take it could be on the same
local network segment.  One option would be, if they have an existing
firewall, would be to move all servers to a DMZ and then your can
control all access to every server in the DMZ.  Not sure if they'd want
to do that.  Second option would to move only that one particular system
to a DMZ.  Third would be to setup FW software (iptables for example) on
the system itself.  When you start having individual systems with FW
software on them, that adds to the administration of the network.  I'd
opt for a centralized administration point.  The issue you have is
exactly what you stated, they want to block even local segment traffic,
which is not possible with the setup you currently have.

Preston