Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Possible new virus?

From: Wirefire Systems Administrator <sysadmin () wirefire com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:15:44 -0400

Thank you everyone for the many suggestions that have been pouring in.
Unfortunately I don't have any of these computers at hand, because these were
reported to me by another technician (actually an ISP reseller with a
computer shop). I have called him, and he reported that another machine (!)
came in today with the same symptoms. Apparently the message has been coming
up after the post operation, immediatly before entering GUI mode. If this
continues, I may take a road trip to investigate myself, in which case I'll
have alot more info.
        My ISP's technical support hasn't gotten any calls about this error in
particular, but many people may not connect that error to an internet problem
(though sometimes they seem to connect printer and video problems?) but as
soon as I can get my hands on a machine, I'll post my findings. Thanks again
everybody!

Matt Simmons