Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ICMP (Ping)

From: Tim Greer <chatmaster () charter net>
Date: 08 Sep 2003 13:07:19 -0700

On Sat, 2003-09-06 at 22:28, Vineet Mehta wrote:
For a real security person, he would definately block ICMP, coz his
systems are dear to him.

To be fair, that's not fair to say.  This may have a benefit for the
purposes some people have outlined, but it isn't really a security issue
per se.  Many skilled and serious security minded professionals do not
disable this, and it in no way reflects on the person as any less caring
or security minded than someone that does.

Anyway, on that note, I'm opting out of this list, I just thought that
this is going to one extreme or another and some things should be said
to clear it up.  This is not meant to intimidate anyone from asking
questions, but to just not insist on things they may not know a lot
about.

Anyway, making assumptions based on it and insisting other people are
wrong.  This is really (truly) a trivial issue--for the most part
anyway--and that discussion, and myself included, are likely better
suited for another list.  Cheers!
--
Tim Greer <chatmaster () charter net>

Captus Networks
Are you prepared for the next Sobig & Blaster?
 - Instantly Stop DoS/DDoS Attacks, Worms & Port Scans
 - Precisely Define and Implement Network Security
 - Automatically Control P2P, IM and Spam Traffic
FIND OUT NOW -  FREE Vulnerability Assessment Toolkit
http://www.captusnetworks.com/ads/42.htm