Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ICMP (Ping)

From: Christos Gioran <himicos () freemail gr>
Date: 05 Sep 2003 17:13:20 +0300

IMHO,

Even though it will not solve all your problems, blocking ICMP echo
replies (ICMP type 8) from leaving the server is a good idea. Anyone who
might want to scan your machine using just a ping sweep will not see
you. All other kinds of ping should be available for normal operation as
it has been stated at a previous post. Your box will *not* be
invinsible, just a litle harder to find. Still there are Syn scans,
NULL, Ack and many more goodies that may tell you off.
That also is a good alternative to ICMP pinging a machine for
administrating purposes. A syn ping (using, for instance, nmap) will be
enough to see if the machine is alive.

PS. As for RFC compliance, does anyone still support the proxy feature
on FTP servers?? No (i hope so) since it poses a great security risk.
RFC's were written for a friendly Internet, where hosts would trust each
other. That is no longer the case. Times change, so should ther
practices we use ;-)

my 0.02 euro worth :-)