Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ICMP (Ping)

From: Vineet Mehta <vineet () linux com kw>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 08:28:18 +0300

i think its just a personal/company policy. hackers who want to hack
your system will do so from not only ICMP attack but from many others
available. So blocking ICMP is just a assurance that some of the hackers
are kept at bay.

If a company needs icmp for administrative purposes and this needs go
far then stopping icmp then its also right. Coz its all about needs and
fullfilling the business needs.

If a company is blocking ICMP then its his policy if its not then its
his policy, both policies are right from there perspective. We have seen
so many responses on this topic and they all highlight that.

For a real security person, he would definately block ICMP, coz his
systems are dear to him.

this is all i can say.
i hope it was not so bad to digest :(