Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Student-Degree valuable or not?

From: "DANIEL SIMPSON" <DANSIMPS () uat edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:43:40 -0700

After graduation of high school I moved to Silicon Valley and worked for
Napster (3 months), Hi Five (8 months), a local consulting firm and a
large private school doing IT related stuff. I got laid off (at age 22)
and really had to reinvent myself. I traveled around, visited friends
and family and talked to as many older people as I could for suggestions
(lasted about 6 months). After everything people told me, I knew what I
had to do. They told me the one thing nobody can take from you is an
education. I have passion in technology and law and everyday I want to
do something new. I'm in my 4th week of school and wonder if I made the
right decision. After all, I had to move away from California and leave
all my friends and family behind. I already realize that I don't want to
work for "The man" but I would like to work for one of my favorite
companies for at least a couple years so I know I MUST get a degree to
fulfill this dream. I'm getting a powerful degree from a school that is
fairly unknown but has the best program I have ever seen (Yes they are
regionally accredited) and some of the best access to latest technology
any school can provide. I didn't do so hot in high school so my access
to public schools was extremely limited, I was forced to spend the bucks
and allow to private schools. Who can complain? I don't plan on sitting
during my 4 year stint; I already have some certifications and plan on
getting more. I'm doing an internship right now and applying for a
summer intern at Microsoft.