Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Looking for some ideas on VPN and Dial Up Users and Virus protection.

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 28 Sep 2003 19:51:35 -0000

I'm not sure that there's anyway for you to do what you're asking, particularly in all cases.  For any given method,
some users may have different browsers (or versions, preventing an ActiveX download), personal firewalls, etc.

One solution you may consider is to place a Terminal Server between the VPN or dial-up server and requiring all users
to access the TS via RDP.  That way, the traffic that would infect your infrastructure never makes it onto the network.

Just a thought...hope it helps.

Harlan

I am looking for some ideas and or suggestions on ways to help protect a
network from VPN and Dial up users.  What I am looking for is something that
once they make a connection would scan their PC for known virus and or other
issues that might cause problems if spread.

Is there a server that you can put in that VPN and Dial up users would have
to access 1st, like a proxy, that would check their system and if something
was found would close out the connection right away?