Security Basics mailing list archives

RE:Probable Trojan

From: Gene Bransfield <flyersfanindc () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 13:47:45 -0800 (PST)

All,

Thank you very much for your information.  I
appreciate everyone's input and I have learned a lot.

Lesson learned: Always ask the obvious question.

The obvious question was: What were you doing with
your AOL account before it was hacked?

The obvious question was asked by the local sysadmin.

One would assume that my buddy would have informed me
about any recent unusual AOL activity (like
unsolicited emails), but it's really my fault for not
asking the obvious question.

Be on the look-out for the InstaKiss email from any
AOL addresses.  They are bogus.  The link associated
brings you to a false AOL login page where usernames
and passwords are harvested for SPAM mongers.  More
info in the link:

http://www.spamsolutions.net/instakiss.asp

I thought my buddy would have been smart enough not to
click on links in unsolicited emails, but alas my
friend is stupid.  I have informed him that he owes me
a case of beer.  I'll be happy to share with the list.

Thanks again,

Gene