Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Personal Firewall for Business use

From: Ivan Hernandez <ivan.hernandez () globalsis com ar>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 16:20:44 -0300

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote:

On 2003-10-27 Ivan Hernandez wrote:

[ Windows TCP filtering ]
"Application level protection" is ridiculous if the protecting agent is
running on the same box. I keep wondering how people can expect software
that allows user interaction (like most personal firewalls do) to
prevent other (malicious) software from doint whatever it pleases.
Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
I would reccomend you to read the good information about on the Gibson Research site at http://www.grc.com Try the information leak utility that's very usefull with all the other toys written in assembly. It's a nice and educational site. Windows Kernel Filtering will not stop a trojan from making connections on the internet, and that's one of the most important risks on a personal computer. Most worms are going via email today, and the filter will do nothing with that, but with some application level filtering, like Zone Alarm has, you can catch them before they go to the internet. Windows Kernel Filter also is very bad option to filter UDP traffic. For example... you would, just want to recieve responses of DNS queryies you have made, but this is just impossible because you have no way to keep track of your connections. I think you must take a little more time before saying that somthing that other said is "ridiculous" and, in doubt ask first what did the other exactly mean, and ask for more information if necessary.

Cheers...

Ivan Hernandez
http://biromeponja.8k.com

Forum Systems PRESIDIO: PGP / XML GATEWAY APPLIANCE
The Presidio integrates PGP data encryption and XML Web Services security to simplify the management and deployment of PGP and reduce overall PGP costs by up to 80%. FREE WHITEPAPER & 30 Day Trial - http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ForumSystems_security-basics_031027 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------