Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Folder level Security

From: "Mike" <mike () superiorholidayadventures ca>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:51:44 -0500

I agree, you really can't do this as the data essentially has to be
"copied" to the machine in the first place before it can be used.  What
you could do is lock down the individual computers so that there are no
Write rights set except for where it needs to be (i.e. local
settings\temp, winnt\temp, and other areas).  In doing this your users
can still copy the file to the open areas of their local pc, but this
depends on how savvy your users are.  You'd also have a fun time finding
the right mix of permissions while still being able to lock down the
machine to a certain degree.

Another option would be to hide all the files on the C: drive and use a
group policy to not allow the users to undo that setting.  That way the
users see an empty C: drive.  Using a GP you can also limit the use of a
floppy drive.

Again, there are many ways around this if you're even slightly computer
literate (i.e. view file, copy contents and paste it into an e-mail or a
new document).

What exactly are you trying to accomplish here?

Mike Fetherston