Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Patching

From: "Graydon McKee" <graydon.s.mckee.iv () orcmacro com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:41:24 -0400

I'm getting into this discussion a bit late here but I thought I'd put
my two cents in.

There seems to be at least 5 or 6 new vulnerabilities released on
BUGTRAQ or similar mailing lists daily.  As information security people,
or just regular systems administrators for that matter, we need to keep
on top of each of these to see if they apply to the systems we control.
Look at all the worms and viruses that have come out that exploit
vulnerabilities that have been known about for months or sometimes even
years.  Without patching our systems we are not only open to the newer
crop of vulnerabilities but all the old ones as well.

If you have a concern about a system being vulnerable then you can take
a couple of steps.  Turn off every service you don't need running on a
given system.  Decide what is mission critical and turn off everything
else.  If you are not sure what services you need, turn them off and see
what breaks.  I know that is sometimes easier said than done. If your
UNIX based machine has the sendmail daemon enabled and its not acting as
a mail server - turn it off.  If Mail is sent out from that machine the
mail client runs the sendmail executable directly from the disk it
doesn't need the daemon running.  Set a cron job to periodically process
the queue or drop the -bd switch from the boot script but its something
that can be turned off.

Once you have everything turned off that you don't need then take a look
at those patches you need for what you do have running.  Install those
patches and make note of the patches for the services you turned off
incase you ever need to turn them back on again.

The point is that you still need to pay attention to patches.  If your
system is exploited and damage is actually done, the excuse that you
didn't patch it because you thought it could have caused a problem
doesn't hold water.  Do a full backup and then patch the system.  If it
breaks then restore your backup and your back to square one.

Just my two cents.

Graydon S McKee IV
Firewall/Security Administrator
ORC Macro - Macro International