Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Patching

From: "gregh" <chows () ozemail com au>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 15:02:25 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alessandro Bottonelli" <abottonelli () libero it>
To: <security-basics () securityfocus com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 7:40 AM
Subject: Re: Patching

OK, so the main idea I get from the list is: a known hole is fixed and the
others are (for the moment) unknown. Therefore, patching is a good idea.

It always only ever depended on what the problem was as opposed to the risk
you were taking patching or not patching. Eg, patch hole in roof now the
rain goes down to the gutters which overflow. Which is worse depends on your
own perspective.

----------------------

HELP! Microsoft just advertised on my TV! Now channels 7 & 9 are hijacked!

FREE Whitepaper: Better Management for Network Security

Looking for a better way to manage your IP security?
Learn how Solsoft can help you:
- Ensure robust IP security through policy-based management
- Make firewall, VPN, and NAT rules interoperable across heterogeneous
networks
- Quickly respond to network events from a central console

Download our FREE whitepaper at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/Solsoft_security-basics_031015