Security Basics mailing list archives

How can you trust a company you don't know?

From: Nicholas Diotte <xphox () xphox net>
Date: 21 Oct 2003 18:39:36 -0000

Greetings List,

Recently I've been asked to look into a product, that a company I've never heard of sells.  The company in question has
a service that our Marketing Department would like to purchase.  It being computer related, IT gets final say.

Basically this company is advertising, "Fully-Branded Emails".  Currently we restrict our Marketing Dept. from using
"fancy" HTML emails, and only allow them to send plain text.  However this company will allow them to send Rich Text,
and HTML emails.  They will even provide what seems to be impossible reporting, dynamic content (via database), and
custom emails based on user interaction (in other words profiling).  Basically I'm assuming each email will contain
embedded hidden pictures, etc that will track what users are doing.  A little scarry for me, as the last thing I want
is our company emails being picked up by spyware scanners, etc..

I've done some basic research on the company and they do seem rather legitamite, however I have found traces of them on
a couple mail abuse lists.

Basically it's an opt-in newsletter, how it works is you give them a subdomain, and point the MX record to their
mailserver.  But how do I know they won't spam from our domain, how do I know they won't sell the opt-in list, and what
about user tracking...  Do I have to alert our subscribers that they will in fact be "profiled"?

What steps would you take if you needed to look into a company and give a report to your VPs, giving the product a
yeah, or nah.

Thanks,
--Xphox

Visual & Easy-to-use are not words that you think of when talking about
network analyzers. Are you sick of the three window text decodes? Download ClearSight Network's Analyzer and see a new
network analysis tool that
makes the complex - easy
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/ClearSightNetworks_security-basics_031021