Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Desktop Support Access

From: JGrimshaw () ASAP com
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:30:09 -0500

If you guys are looking to do this on the cheap, use local access
authentication and create your own security levels.

You can have up to 16 different security levels, from enable mode to
basically nothing.  You can assign (for example) just "show ip route" to
level 3, for example, for your employees that are looking at route
up/downs.

Check out the following link for a detailed explanation and examples (I
logged in to view this; if you can't see it, search for access level IOS
on their website and fumble through the results)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca7d1.html#1001015

and here is where you actually set up local accounts, to refer to the
aforementioned security levels that you'll configure:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca7a8.html

If you wanted to get fancy, you could use RADIUS or TACACS in addition to,
or instead of, the local database on the router.

With enough effort, you could have a pretty slick set up.

"Halverson, Chris" <chris.halverson () encana com>
10/17/2003 03:40 PM

'David Nichols' <dnichols () amci com>, Thomas Graf <tgraf () swmail sw org>,
security-basics () securityfocus com
cc

Subject
RE: Desktop Support Access

You are correct, the two levels are the User Exec and Privileged Exec.
To enable and disable ports would require access to the interface
configuration is accessible only from the privileged mode.

Shut, no shut commands...

If you have a smartnet account you might want to inquire at Cisco for some
sort of web tools to do something like that...
I don't recall seeing something like that though.

Hmmmm good idea about the development for that though...

Chris