Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Basic Network Configuration

From: DRAx <dra.x () ifrance com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 08:25:45 -0700

Hi,

I'm in the middle of building one myself so I'll give you a few guidelines to follow.

You have to build a DMZ on the principle that it is UN-trustworthy and
CAN be compromised.
There shouldn't be any user account on your DMZ. For email, I suggest
some sort of tunnel through your firewall (IPSEC, stunnel,...) routed
towards your Internal LAN.
You shouldn't have your Web Intranet on the DMZ. I suggest using
some reverse-proxy mechanism, and have it reside on the Internal LAN.
I hope you get the general Idea.

Yes anything that requires access from outside should be in the DMZ.
BUT you should only put information there that you are prepared to lose. Only PUBLIC information. No accounts, no private data, etc.

Hope this helped (I am myself doing this for the first time :)

DRAx

Smith, KC wrote:
All,

Okay I know this is truly a basic question, but this is after all the "security-BASICS" list!

Most LAN configs I've seen include two, separate pieces of hardware to define the DMZ.  A firewall on the outside and
another firewall or policy switch on the inside is usually how I've seen that handled.

My new company uses 3 separate NICs in the same firewall.  One for inbound, one for the LAN and one for the DMZ.  Each has
it's own address block.

It seems like using the firewall to do this makes sense, but I'd appreciate some external confirmation on that.

The second issue is this: is there a rule of thumb to determine what should and should not go in the DMZ vs. the LAN?
It seems to me that anything that requires access from outside the network (Ex. DNS servers, Mail servers, demo
servers, etc.) should go in the DMZ.  True?

Thanks in advance.
KC Smith