Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Basic Network Configuration

From: "Ivan Coric" <ivan.coric () workcoverqld com au>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:28:14 +1000

Hi KC,
A traditional setup, and a good one. If possible don't allow any direct comms from the LAN to the internet, or at least
limit it.

internet<-------------------->Firewal<-------------------->LAN---------Internet proxy
                                                  |                                            |—------Mail Server
                                                  |                                            |—------DNS Server
                                               DMZ
                                        Internet Proxy
                                           Mail Relay
                                                DNS

Regards
Ivan

Ivan Coric
IT Technical Security Officer
Information Technology
WorkCover Queensland
Ph: (07) 30066414 Fax: (07) 30066424
Email: ivan.coric () workcoverqld com au

"Smith, KC" <ksmith () systemsalliance com> 10/15/03 02:40am >>>
All,

Okay I know this is truly a basic question, but this is after all the "security-BASICS" list!

Most LAN configs I've seen include two, separate pieces of hardware to define the DMZ.  A firewall on the outside and
another firewall or policy switch on the inside is usually how I've seen that handled.

My new company uses 3 separate NICs in the same firewall.  One for inbound, one for the LAN and one for the DMZ.  Each
has it's own address block.

It seems like using the firewall to do this makes sense, but I'd appreciate some external confirmation on that.

The second issue is this: is there a rule of thumb to determine what should and should not go in the DMZ vs. the LAN?
It seems to me that anything that requires access from outside the network (Ex. DNS servers, Mail servers, demo
servers, etc.) should go in the DMZ.  True?

Thanks in advance.
KC Smith

Messages included in this e-mail and any of its attachments are those
of the author unless specifically stated to represent WorkCover Queensland. The contents of this message are to be used
for the intended purpose only and are to be kept confidential at all times.
This message may contain privileged information directed only to the intended addressee/s. Accidental receipt of this
information should be deleted promptly and the sender notified.
This e-mail has been scanned by Sophos for known viruses.
However, no warranty nor liability is implied in this respect.