Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Country based IPs

From: "Meritt James" <meritt_james () bah com>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 12:56:13 -0400

Correct again - they "merely" (!) report the information.  They do
nothing to assign it.

There is a field within the naming structure for location, but since
that is not a required entry that will probably not help him.

Jim

"Matthew F. Caldwell" wrote:

Jim,

        Domain name servers have nothing to do with who owns the IP
address blocks and DNS generally has a set of problems (spoofing etc).
Generally ISP's, Corporations and Government Organizations own blocks of
IP addresses. The IP addresses are assigned for organizations use only,
which helps people track back the origin of attacks.

For example:

Your mail server IP address is 156.80.3.61

A DNS lookup would revel that it's dns name is:
61.3.80.156.in-addr.arpa        name = mclean-vscan1.bah.com.

HOWEVER a WHOIS look would give you the following information:

<ip_address>
156.80.3.61</ip_address>
<asname>BAH-NET</asname>
<domain></domain>
<block_range>
<block_start>156.80.0.0</block_start>
<block_end>156.80.255.255</block_end>
</block_range>
<location>
<city>MC LEAN</city>
<state>VA</state>
<country>US</country><coordinates>
<granular>City</granular>
<latitude>38.953033</latitude>
<longitude>-77.229</longitude>
</coordinates>
</location>
<whois>
Query:     156.80.82.5
Registry:  whois.arin.net

OrgName:    Booz, Allen, and Hamilton
OrgID:      BAH-2
Address:    8283 Greensboro Dr
City:       McLean
StateProv:  VA
PostalCode: 22102
Country:    US

NetRange:   156.80.0.0 - 156.80.255.255
CIDR:       156.80.0.0/16
NetName:    BAH-NET
NetHandle:  NET-156-80-0-0-1
Parent:     NET-156-0-0-0-0
NetType:    Direct Assignment
NameServer: EXTSER-1.BAH.COM
NameServer: EXTSER-2.BAH.COM
Comment:
RegDate:    1992-12-10
Updated:    2000-12-15

TechHandle: AHB1-ARIN
TechName:   Booz, Allen & Hamilton
TechPhone:  +1-703-377-0887
TechEmail:  internet () bah com

# Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN\'s WHOIS database.

</whois>
</netblock>focus.com

Large Difference.

Subject: Re: Country based IPs

We did it that way in the "good old days" to generate out hosts files,
but that rapidly became unworkable due to the number of IPs and that
lead to the introduction of name servers...

I would recommend against taking a great step backwards if at all
possible...

Jim

"Matthew F. Caldwell" wrote:

Dale and Jbod,

        If you want a database download you can request it from ARIN,
it's a difficult to parse format (to prevent spammers). HERE is the
form
have fun!

http://www.arin.net/library/agreements/bulkwhois.pdf

As part of our product neuSECURE, we maintain a database of all known
netblocks from the sources ARIN, APNIC, RIPE, etc. The data is
refreshed
on a regular basis. We use this data to allow better macro correlation
in our product.  You can create rules that specify if you see
something
from a particular country,block,and ranges it can perform actions
including block it at the firewall, email me, create a ticket etc.

Matt

Matthew F. Caldwell, CISSP
Founder and Chief Security Officer
GuardedNet, Inc.