Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: WatchGuard Firebox firewalls

From: "Randy Williams" <randyw () techsource com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 08:52:34 -0500

I have to agree with Chris.  I manage one of the Firebox 1000's and while
they do the job, there are certainly better products out there.  If we had
it to do all over again, we would not have chosen the Firebox product at
all.

I would not call its software capabilities true intrusion detection, but
they do help to block a lot of accesses.  However, like all equipment on the
net, they are susceptible to attack.  I had mine get brought down by the
Welchia worm just recently, as the system was too simple to understand what
was happening.

Once you have the case off, it is just a laptop motherboard running
FreeBsd..

If you have the time and managements blessings, I would set up a simple
Linux gateway and lock it down snug.

Mine does work mind you, but it is has caused a lot of headaches over the 2
years we've had it.

RandyW